Zack Riddle (NASCAR Late Models), Ray Hellenbrand (Dave’s White Rock MISfitz), and Nick Schmidt (Pellitteri Waste Systems Bandits) came to Madison as point leaders and went home as track champions following a rain-shortened NASCAR Advance Auto Parts Weekly Series Championship Night.
In feature action, Zack Riddle picked up another win in the NASCAR Late Models while Mason Hellenbrand captured a pair of wins in the Dave’s White Rock MISfitz, and Nick Schmidt did it again in the Pellitteri Waste Systems Bandits. Randy Grancorvitz took home the win in the Roto Rooter 6Shooters.
This was Zack Riddle’s fourth track championship at Madison after winning titles in 2015, 2018, and 2021. Ray Hellenbrand successfully defended his track championship in the MISfitz and now has won two of the three years the division has raced at Madison. Nick Schmidt became the first-ever driver at Madison to win four straight track championships in any division as he took home another Bandits crown. This was also the first time in Madison history that three drivers won back to back championships in the same season.
Zack Riddle Takes Home Another Checkered Flag at Madison
Zack Riddle held off the bounty hunters and won the 30 lap feature for the NASCAR Late Models. It was his eighth win of the season and 28th in his Late Model career at Madison placing him third on the all-time list.
Morgan Schissel and Ryan Goldade brought the fourteen car field to the green flag. From the outside Goldade took the early lead over Schissel. On lap 3 Shaun Scheel and Riddle were battling it out for third with Brent Edmunds also joining the mix. On lap 4 Riddle cleared Shaun Scheel for third. The top three were checking away from the field in straight alignment before the caution flag waved on lap 7 when the car of Scheel slowed.
Goldade continued to lead when the green flag waved with Riddle moving to the inside of Schissel for second. Riddle was able to clear Schissel for second and quickly chased down Goldade to take the lead on lap 10. A spin on lap 11 brought out the caution.
Before the race could restart rain started to fall bringing out the red flag.
After a short rain delay, Riddle brought the field back to green. Riddle continued to lead with Goldade and Edmunds running second and third. On lap 15, Bobby Wilberg moved to the inside of Stephen Scheel to take fourth. Out front Riddle had a six car length lead over Goldade.
With ten laps to go a battle was taking place behind Riddle who was able to maintain his six car lead. On lap 21 Wilberg worked his way past Edmunds for third and started to close in on Goldade. With six laps to go, the leaders had caught the tail end of the field and started to work their way through traffic. Wilberg powered his way past Goldade to take second with five laps to go.
Wilberg, who started last after mechanical issues earlier in the night, needed a caution flag in order to have a chance to catch Riddle, but unfortunately for him the race stayed green and Riddle picked up the checkered flag. Rounding out the top five were Goldade, Edmunds, and Stephen Scheel.
Before the second feature could take the green flag the rains returned ending the night of racing.
Brent Edmunds set fast time with a lap of 18.681 (96.355 mph). Riddle won the RA Heating and Air Conditioning Dash and the overall points championship.
Mason Hellenbrand Wins a Pair at Madison
Mason Hellenbrand capped off a very successful rookie season as he won both features for the Dave’s White Rock MISfitz.
In the first feature, Mike Taylor and Justin Sellers led the field to the green flag. Taylor took the early lead with Ray Hellenbrand quickly up to challenge Sellers for second. A three car incident on the front shoot brought out the caution flag on the second lap. Taylor paced the field back to the green flag with Ray Hellenbrand up to second followed by Dan Snyder.
On lap 4 Ray Hellenbrand pulled to the outside of Taylor to take the top spot. One lap later Snyder and Mason Hellenbrand cleared Taylor to take second and third. On lap 8 Mason Hellenbrand took second from Snyder and on lap 11 took the lead. One lap later a spin on the backstretch brought out the second caution flag.
Mason Hellenbrand elected to line up on the inside for the restart with Ray Hellenbrand on the outside with Rick Coppernoll and Dan Snyder in the second row. Ray Hellenbrand retook the lead on lap 13 with Mason Hellenbrand retaking the lead on lap 15. With two laps to go, the father-son duo were side by side with Mason holding off Ray to pick up the win. Coppernoll finished third.
Mason Hellenbrand made it two for two by winning the second 20 lap feature.
Justin Sellers and Scott Jensen led the field to the green. Rick Coppernoll wasted no time getting out to the lead followed by Dan Snyder and Sellers. On lap 4 the caution flag waved for a spin. Coppernoll continued to lead followed by Snyder and Ray Hellenbrand. On lap 8 Ray Hellenbrand took the lead from Coppernoll with Mason Hellenbrand up to third. Coppernoll and Mason Hellenbrand were battling it out for second which allowed Ray Hellenbrand to increase his lead. On lap 16 Mason Hellenbrand moved into second place after getting by Coppernoll. Mason then pulled to the outside of Ray to take the lead and race his way to victory lane.
For the second time, the truck of Tyler Noble was quickest in qualifying with a circuit of 20.096 (89.570 mph). Rick Coppernoll won the RA Heating and Air Conditioning Dash and is the 2022 Dash Champion.
Nick Schmidt is King of the Ring
Nick Schmidt won the 20 lap feature for the Pellitteri Waste Systems Bandits. It was his seventh win of the season and 23rd in his Bandit career at Madison.
Ryan Oetzel and Matt Krinke paced the field to the green flag with Oetzel taking the lead. Nick Newton was up to challenge the leader and took the lead on lap 3 with Dave Schmidt taking second on lap 5. Nick Schmidt joined his brother to battle for second and on lap 7 took second and then pulled to the outside of Newton for the lead. On lap 8 Nick Schmidt took the lead and started to work his way around lapped traffic. Nick Schmidt’s lead was ten car lengths over Newton with five laps to go as the race continued under green.
Nick Schmidt was not to be denied the checkered flag tonight as he took home yet another win. Newton held off Dave Schmidt for second with Bart Brockmann and Gary Stark Jr. completing the top five.
The second feature was rained out.
Nick Schmidt was quickest in qualifying for the seventh time this season with a trip of 14.978 (60.088 mph). Carson Phillips won the RA Heating and Air Conditioning Dash. Nick Schmidt and Bart Brockmann finished tied for season Dash points with Schmidt winning the title based on his three Dash wins compared to Brockmann’s.
Randy Grancorvitz Wins the 6Shooter Battle
Randy Grancorvitz won the 18 lap feature for the Roto Rooter 6Shooters. It was his second career feature win in the division.
Julie Morris and Jason “Super Fan” Morgan brought the field to the green flag. It didn’t take the long for the caution flag to come out after a pile up in turn 3 before a lap could be completed.
Randy Grancorvitz led the field back to the green followed by Bob McKeown and Ozzie Osborne. Trevor Chilson worked his way up to fourth on lap 7. On lap 12 Chilson moved up to challenge McKeown for third. It didn’t take long for the leaders to catch the back of the pack and that’s when things always get interesting on the Ring of Fire.
Inside, outside, over and around, the leaders adeptly worked their way through lapped traffic with Osborne doing everything possible to get around Grancorvitz. But Grancorvitz was able to hang on long enough to pick up his first win of the season.
The second feature was rained out.
Next Friday night (August 26th) it’s the return of the Super Late Models when the ARCA Midwest Tour comes to Madison for the Howie Lettow Classic 100 presented by First Business Bank. The Midwest Trucks and 602 Late Models will also be in action as all three divisions make their second visit of the year to Wisconsin’s Fastest Half-Mile. Pit gates open at 1:00 with practice starting at 4:00 with qualifying at 6:15 and racing at 7:30. Grandstands will open at 4:00.
The final Thursday Night Street Drags of the year will take place on September 8th which puts a wrap on the 2022 racing season at Madison.
NASCAR LATE MODELS
1. 87BE-Brent Edmunds, 18.6810; 2. 14ZR-Zack Riddle, 18.7760; 3. 8SS-Shaun Scheel, 18.8690; 4. 39RG-Ryan Goldade, 18.9570; 5. 71MS-Morgan Schissel, 18.9850; 6. 19MH-Michael Haggar, 18.9900; 7. 4SS-Stephen Scheel, 19.0250; 8. 19RO-Ronnie Osborne, 19.0620; 9. 37SR-Seth Reamer, 19.1340; 10. 18JW-Jerimy Wagner, 19.1640; 11. 007D-Hunter Drefahl, 19.5610; 12. 49MA-McKayla Adams, 19.7080; 13. 32PD-Paul Dygon, 20.0070; 14. 28BW-Bobby Wilberg, 50.0000
Late Models – Feature #1 30 Laps
1. 14ZR-Zack Riddle , Oregon, WI, 2. 28BW-Bobby Wilberg , Beloit, WI, 3. 39RG-Ryan Goldade , Edgerton, WI, 4. 87BE-Brent Edmunds , Monticello, WI, 5. 4SS-Stephen Scheel , Lake Mills, WI, 6. 71MS-Morgan Schissel , Rio, WI, 7. 19MH-Michael Haggar , Hanover, MN, 8. 37SR-Seth Reamer , Marshall, WI, 9. 19RO-Ronnie Osborne , Fitchburg, WI, 10. 8SS-Shaun Scheel , Lake Mills, WI, 11. 18JW-Jerimy Wagner , Onalaska, WI, 12. 007D-Hunter Drefahl , Evansville, WI, 13. 32PD-Paul Dygon , Wind Lake, WI, 14. 49MA-McKayla Adams , Sun Prairie, WI
Late Models – Dash 6 Laps
1. 14ZR-Zack Riddle , Oregon, WI, 2. 71MS-Morgan Schissel , Rio, WI, 3. 19MH-Michael Haggar , Hanover, MN, 4. 39RG-Ryan Goldade , Edgerton, WI, 5. 8SS-Shaun Scheel , Lake Mills, WI
Dave’s White Rock MISfitz
1. 7TN-Tyler Noble, 20.0960; 2. 6DS-Dan Snyder, 20.1620; 3. 67MH-Mason Hellenbrand, 20.2340; 4. 7RC-Rick Coppernoll, 20.2460; 5. 78RH-Ray Hellenbrand, 20.3650; 6. 84TW-Tim Wondrash, 20.4680; 7. 99JS-Justin Sellers, 20.6500; 8. 4MT-Mike Taylor, 20.6810; 9. 9SJ-Scott Jensen, 21.7450; 10. 95DL-Dan Lerdahl, 21.9330; 11. 76PM-Pete Moore, 50.0000; 12. 41BM-Bryce Miller, 50.0000
MISfitz – Feature #1 20 Laps
1. 67MH-Mason Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 2. 78RH-Ray Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 3. 7RC-Rick Coppernoll , Stoughton, WI, 4. 6DS-Dan Snyder , Stoughton, WI, 5. 4MT-Mike Taylor , Stoughton, WI, 6. 99JS-Justin Sellers , Carol Stream, IL, 7. 9SJ-Scott Jensen , Evansville, WI, 8. 95DL-Dan Lerdahl , Evansville, WI, 9. 76PM-Pete Moore , Mcfarland, WI, 10. 41BM-Bryce Miller , Oregon, WI, 11. 7TN-Tyler Noble , Arena, WI, 12. 84TW-Tim Wondrash , Brooklyn, WI
MISfitz – Dash 6 Laps
1. 7RC-Rick Coppernoll , Stoughton, WI, 2. 67MH-Mason Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 3. 6DS-Dan Snyder , Stoughton, WI, 4. 78RH-Ray Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 5. 84TW-Tim Wondrash , Brooklyn, WI
MISfitz – Feature #2 20 Laps
1. 67MH-Mason Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 2. 78RH-Ray Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 3. 7RC-Rick Coppernoll , Stoughton, WI, 4. 6DS-Dan Snyder , Stoughton, WI, 5. 4MT-Mike Taylor , Stoughton, WI, 6. 99JS-Justin Sellers , Carol Stream, IL, 7. 84TW-Tim Wondrash , Brooklyn, WI, 8. 76PM-Pete Moore , Mcfarland, WI, 9. 9SJ-Scott Jensen , Evansville, WI, 10. 41BM-Bryce Miller , Oregon, WI, 11. 7TN-Tyler Noble , Arena, WI
BANDITS MEDIA RESULTS
1. 09NS-Nick Schmidt, 14.9780; 2. 10DS-Dave Schmidt, 15.1170; 3. 70BB-Bart Brockmann, 15.2790; 4. 15CP-Carson Phillips, 15.2820; 5. 09GS-Gary Stark, 15.2840; 6. 91KB-Kevin Beyer, 15.5060; 7. 62ED-Ethan Degner, 15.6030; 8. 41NN-Nick Newton, 15.6220; 9. 29MK-Matt Krinke, 15.6760; 10. 5RO-Ryan Oetzel, 15.7620; 11. 00TR-Trent Rueth, 15.9990; 12. 15KS-Keith Slagg, 16.0070; 13. 116JL-Josh Lenz, 16.0970; 14. 16CL-Carli Lenz, 16.3000; 15. 73DT-Dan Thomson, 16.6410
Bandits – Feature #1 20 Laps
1. 09NS-Nick Schmidt , Watertown, WI, 2. 41NN-Nick Newton , Jefferson, WI, 3. 10DS-Dave Schmidt , Cudahy, WI, 4. 70BB-Bart Brockmann , Rockford, IL, 5. 09GS-Gary Stark Jr, Oregon, WI, 6. 91KB-Kevin Beyer , Appleton, WI, 7. 29MK-Matt Krinke , Jefferson, WI, 8. 62ED-Ethan Degner , Watertown, WI, 9. 15CP-Carson Phillips , Edgerton, WI, 10. 116JL-Josh Lenz , Lake Mills, WI, 11. 73DT-Dan Thomson , Neenah, WI, 12. 5RO-Ryan Oetzel , Brodhead, WI, 13. 16CL-Carli Lenz , Lake Mills, WI, 14. 15KS-Keith Slagg , Racine, WI, 15. 00TR-Trent Rueth , Johnson Creek, WI
Bandits – Dash 6 Laps
1. 15CP-Carson Phillips , Edgerton, WI, 2. 70BB-Bart Brockmann , Rockford, IL, 3. 09NS-Nick Schmidt , Watertown, WI, 4. 10DS-Dave Schmidt , Cudahy, WI, 5. 91KB-Kevin Beyer , Appleton, WI, 6. 09GS-Gary Stark Jr, Oregon, WI
Bandits – Feature #2 20 Laps
6SHOOTERS MEDIA RESULTS
6Shooters – Feature #1 18 Laps
1. 7RG-Randy Grancorvitz , Fort Atkinson, WI, 2. 19RO-Ronald Osborne , Fitchburg, WI, 3. 101TC-Trevor Chilson , Middleton, WI, 4. XJVH-Jason VanHise , Roscoe, IL, 5. 01BM-Robert McKeown , McFarland, WI, 6. 4EN-Eric Niemi , Belleville, WI, 7. 9DB-Dan Bishop , Lodi, WI, 8. 1DK-Dylan Klinger , Albany, WI, 9. 03JM-Josh Morris , Stoughton, WI, 10. 17KW-Ken Wrege , Oregon, WI, 11. 91KO-Ken Osborne , Janesville, WI, 12. 76JM-Jason Morgan , Evansville, WI, 13. 16SS-Sam Schulz , Brooklyn, WI, 14. 18CM-Cory McCarthy , Brooklyn, WI, 15. 54TC-Todd Carteron , Madison, WI, 16. 55PK-Phillip Klinkner , Stoughton, WI, 17. 24KD-Ken Dyer , Madison, WI, 18. 4GR-Gene Robbins , Evansville, WI, 19. 24JM-Julie Morris , Windsor, WI, 20. 2TK-Todd Klinger , Madison, WI, 21. 6DS-Dary Schulz , Madison, WI
6Shooters – Feature #2 18 Laps