Zack Riddle won the 30 lap feature for the Late Models while Mason Hellenbrand took home top honors in the 20 lap feature for the Dave’s White Rock MISfitz as part of Salute to America Night at Madison International Speedway. Once again this annual event featured the area’s biggest and best fireworks much to the approval of the large crowd on hand.
Kody Swanson won the Bytec Inc. Dairyland 100 for the USAC Silver Crown. It was his third win at Madison. Here’s a link to the complete story compliments of USAC.
Zack Riddle passed Shaun Scheel on the final lap to win the 30 lap Late Model and picked up his fourth win in five starts in 2023.
A pair of drivers, Kyle Taylor and Jayden Dahlberg, who were making their first appearances at Madison in 2023, brought the field to the green flag. Taylor took the early lead with Dahlberg fighting back on the outside to take the lead on lap 2. Morgan Schissel took the second position from Taylor on lap 5 just before Zack Riddle and Steve Lichtfeld got together on lap 6 bringing out the caution flag.
Dahlberg led the field back to the green flag single file style. On lap 7 Schissel and Dahlberg made contact bringing out the caution flag and sending both to the back. This gave the lead to Stephen Scheel who would be followed by Bobby Wilberg, Shaun Scheel, and Brent Edmunds. Wilberg quickly moved to the inside of Stephen Scheel to take the lead, but Shaun Scheel was able to find the room he needed on lap 8 to take the lead coming out of turn two. Shaun Scheel opened up a big lead as Edmunds and Stephen Scheel were fighting it out for second. As Stephen Scheel and Edmunds were fighting it out it allowed Riley Stenjem to sneak by to take the second position on lap 13.
But it was Riddle on the move as he powered his way past Stenjem on lap 16 to take the second position. Out front Shaun Scheel was increasing his lead with Riddle and Stenjem in pursuit. With eight laps to go, Shaun Scheel’s lead was 0.8 seconds over Riddle who was closing the gap each lap. With six laps to go the lead was down to four car lengths. With four laps to go the lead was two car lengths and with three to go Riddle had caught the leader and was trying to find room to pass for the lead.
But it all came down to the final lap. Both drivers knew what they had to do to capture the checkered flag. Riddle dropped to the inside of Shaun Scheel coming out of turn one and the two made contact with Riddle getting the top spot and Scheel getting up the track. From there Riddle would lead the rest of the way and make a stop in victory lane. Shaun Scheel finished second followed by Stenjem, Stephen Scheel, and Edmunds.
“I’m glad to see so many people here for such a great show,” said Riddle from victory lane after talking about the final lap. Riddle now has 32 career Late Model wins at Madison placing him second on the all-time list.
Fast time was set by Riddle with a lap of 18.769 (95.903 mph). Heat winners were Morgan Schissel and Stephen Scheel. Riddle continues to lead the point standings in the division.
Mason Hellenbrand Wins MISfitz Main Event
Mason Hellenbrand won the 20 lap feature for the Dave’s White Rock MISfitz.
Veteran driver Mike Taylor and Brian Ulrich paced the field to the green flag. Taylor took the early lead with Ulrich staying to his outside. On lap 3 Ulrich worked his way to the lead with Mike Coleman moving into second just before the caution flag came out on lap 4 when point leader Dave Edwards’ car slowed on the front shoot and sending him to the pits.
Ulrich paced the field back to the green flag. He was able to maintain his lead while Taylor and Mike Coleman were fighting it out for second. The second place battle allowed Ulrich to open up an eight car length lead over the field. On lap 9 Mason Hellenbrand broke into the top three with the caution flag coming out a lap later for a spin in turn two which involved two cars and took away the sizeable margin for Uhlrich.
For the restart, Taylor took the inside after Ulrich elected to start on the outside. . Uhlrich took back his lead followed by Taylor and Mason Hellenbrand. Mason Hellenbrand took the second spot on lap 12 and then worked to the inside of Ulrich to take the lead on lap 13. Uhlrich worked his way back on the inside and pulled even with Mason Hellenbrand with three laps to go. Running side by side for third were Ray Hellenbrand and Dan Snyder. With one lap to go Ulrich held a slight advantage, but Mason Hellenbrand made the outside line work and picked up the win on the final lap. Ulrich finished second followed by Snyder, Ray Hellenbrand, and Tyler Noble.
From victory lane, Hellenbrand thanked his family for all of their help in making his Friday nights at Madison possible. This was Hellenbrand’s first win of the season and his fifth career win at Madison.
Dan Snyder was fast qualifier with a lap of 20.017 (89.924 mph). Heat winners were Bob Fort and Ray Hellenbrand. Despite his early exit in the feature, Dave Edwards continues to be the point leader in the division.
The next two Friday nights are scheduled nights off at Madison. But then it’s back to back nights when racing returns to Madison on July 13th and 14th. The July edition of the One on One Street Drags takes to the 300’ dragstrip on the front stretch on Thursday the 13th with admission just $10.00. Wisconsin’s Fastest Half-Mile and the Ring of Fire come alive on Friday the 14th with Bobcat of Janesville Kids’ Night featuring double features in the Late Models, MISfitz, 6Shooters, and High School Racing Association. All kids 11 and under will be admitted free.
1. 14ZR-Zack Riddle, 18.7690; 2. 28RS-Riley Stenjem, 18.8970; 3. 87BE-Brent Edmunds, 18.9380; 4. 8SS-Shaun Scheel, 18.9860; 5. 4SS-Stephen Scheel, 19.0640; 6. 28BW-Bobby Wilberg, 19.1210; 7. 71MS-Morgan Schissel, 19.1480; 8. 32SL-Steven Lichtfeld, 19.2450; 9. 14KT-Kyle Taylor, 19.6590; 10. 32PD-Paul Dygon, 20.4550; 11. 36JD-Jayden Dahlberg, 00.3740
Late Models – Heat 1 8 Laps
1. 71MS-Morgan Schissel , Rio, WI, 2. 28BW-Bobby Wilberg , Beloit, WI, 3. 36JD-Jayden Dahlberg , South Beloit, IL, 4. 32SL-Steven Lichtfeld , Pardeeville, WI, 5. 14KT-Kyle Taylor , Deerfield, WI, 6. 32PD-Paul Dygon , Wind Lake, WI
Late Models – Heat 2 8 Laps
1. 4SS-Stephen Scheel , Lake Mills, WI, 2. 14ZR-Zack Riddle , Brooklyn, WI, 3. 8SS-Shaun Scheel , Lake Mills, WI, 4. 28RS-Riley Stenjem , Stoughton, WI, 5. 87BE-Brent Edmunds , Brodhead, WI
Late Models – Feature 30 Laps
1. 14ZR-Zack Riddle , Brooklyn, WI, 2. 8SS-Shaun Scheel , Lake Mills, WI, 3. 28RS-Riley Stenjem , Stoughton, WI, 4. 4SS-Stephen Scheel , Lake Mills, WI, 5. 87BE-Brent Edmunds , Brodhead, WI, 6. 28BW-Bobby Wilberg , Beloit, WI, 7. 32SL-Steven Lichtfeld , Pardeeville, WI, 8. 71MS-Morgan Schissel , Rio, WI, 9. 36JD-Jayden Dahlberg , South Beloit, IL, 10. 14KT-Kyle Taylor , Deerfield, WI, 11. 32PD-Paul Dygon , Wind Lake, WI
Dave’s White Rock MISfitz
1. 6DS-Dan Snyder, 20.0170; 2. 7TN-Tyler Noble, 20.0300; 3. 5DE-David Edwards, 20.1760; 4. 67MH-Mason Hellenbrand, 20.2030; 5. 78RH-Ray Hellenbrand, 20.2200; 6. 7MC-Mike Coleman, 20.2680; 7. 99JS-Justin Sellers, 20.3300; 8. 23BU-Brian Ulrich, 20.3340; 9. 4MT-Mike Taylor, 20.5120; 10. 97BF-Bob Fort, 20.5280; 11. 31CW-Chris Wangrow, 50.0000
MISfitz – Heat 1 8 Laps
1. 97BF-Bob Fort , Winona, MN, 2. 99JS-Justin Sellers , South Elgin, IL, 3. 31CW-Chris Wangrow , Avalon, WI, 4. 23BU-Brian Ulrich , Racine, WI, 5. 7MC-Mike Coleman , Rockford, IL, 6. 4MT-Mike Taylor , Stoughhton, WI
MISfitz – Heat 2 8 Laps
1. 78RH-Ray Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 2. 5DE-David Edwards , Salem, WI, 3. 7TN-Tyler Noble , Arena, WI, 4. 6DS-Dan Snyder , Stoughton, WI, 5. 67MH-Mason Hellenbrand , Verona, WI
MISfitz – Feature 20 Laps
1. 67MH-Mason Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 2. 23BU-Brian Ulrich , Racine, WI, 3. 6DS-Dan Snyder , Stoughton, WI, 4. 78RH-Ray Hellenbrand , Verona, WI, 5. 7TN-Tyler Noble , Arena, WI, 6. 97BF-Bob Fort , Winona, MN, 7. 99JS-Justin Sellers , South Elgin, IL, 8. 31CW-Chris Wangrow , Avalon, WI, 9. 7MC-Mike Coleman , Rockford, IL, 10. 4MT-Mike Taylor , Stoughhton, WI, 11. 5DE-David Edwards , Salem, WI